Life can be compared to a school, where everybody, young and old, is a student. As students, we must keep learning or else, we start dying. For instance, there are some notable success quotes for students that we all must learn to have an accomplished life.
To have an accomplished life means to succeed. However, our definition of success differs. According to a source1 success is the degree or measure of succeeding. It also means a favourable or desired outcome, such as attainment of wealth, favour, or fame. It could also be defined as an event that accomplishes its intended purpose.
For me, I would define success as a three-step activity:
- have a goal
- set out to achieve the goal
- achieve the goal.
When these three steps are completed, success is said to take place. A student could have a goal of scoring 7 A’s at the beginning of a semester. If he consciously works toward this goal and achieves the goal by semester end, he has succeeded. For him, anything less of 7 A’s isn’t a success though it might be for other students.
So we see that the first key in achieving success is; setting out what your goals are. A word of caution: goals not clearly defined are no goals at all! Also, a goal that is not written down is far from coming to reality. When setting out goals, it is very important that the goal is realistic.
This could be a short term goal or a long term one.
Steps to set out realistic goals:
- Write out what your goal is: a goal that is well written down is more likely to come to being achieved than a goal that is not written down. Such a goal should be clearly stated. For students, it could be written on the wall where you can always see it every now and then. A newly admitted student could set out the goal of what he would like to graduate with.
- Create a step by step plan on how you intend to achieve your goal: many times, we are fond of writing the goals we want to achieve but fail to draw out plans that will facilitate the achievement of such goals. A student that intends to have an ‘A’ grade in a particular course, should come up with a weekly plan on the number of hours he/she wants to assign in reading and studying the course.
- Give simplicity to complex plan or task: some plans may prove difficult to achieve. Such plans should be broken down into simpler tasks and manageable chunks. Being able to see the starting and ending point in a particular task at hand, makes it easier to commence and complete the task within an allotted schedule.
- Measure your progress: it is very important to learn how to measure your progress. This will help you to know if you are getting close to achieving the set-out goal. And if you find out that you aren’t making significant progress, this doesn’t mean you should be discouraged or to contemplate quitting. Rather, see your slowed progress as an awakening that you aren’t doing your best yet. The good news is, there is always room for improvement! Confucius’ success quotes for students, put it this way…
Success quotes for students
“It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.”Confucius
Following these steps will not only help us to achieve our goals. It will also help us build positive self-esteem by having confidence in our abilities. Once this process is on, all that we need is to ensure that we keep working and moving towards our set out goals.
I believe that success is not hard, just that it requires following laid-down principles. For example, we have discussed four-steps to setting realistic goals in this post. Following these steps (or principles), makes it easier for you to reach your goals and achieve success. And always remember that success is what you (not somebody else) define it to be.
Just before you go, you might like to read one of our posts on work, learn and earn at the same time. Working, learning and earning is a proven strategy for building better livelihoods. I will encourage you to check it out and share with your circle of friends, associates and families.
Would you like to read further about how you can achieve success? Then, you can check out Brian Tracy’s four keys to success. In this post, we mentioned only one of the success quotes for students. Since this post is a series, I want to encourage you to check back for more of the quotes you’d need to succeed as a student, and in every other thing that you do.
A Helpful Offer:
If you are like me, you must be interested in taking a giant leap this year. To help you, I will share with you the Emergency Change Your Life Plan. This Plan was prepared by Marion Neubronner, a Human Development and Psychology graduate from Harvard University. This plan will be of help if you sincerely need to reach your academic, health, relationship or financial goals.
Credits and Notes:
- Definition of Success was taken from Merriam Webster’s Dictionary: America’s Most Trusted Online Dictionary
- A big thanks to Mercy Olaleye for creating the original version of this post.
- Please note that I might earn a commission if you purchase the promoted product using the link above. This does not in any way increase the product’s price. Your purchase will go a long way in keeping this website operational. Many thanks in advance.
Thanks for reading this far. We have come to the end of the first-in-the-series post on success quotes for students. I hope you have learnt something about how to set realistic goals. Be free to share your thoughts in the comments box. Cheers.